Friday 27 March 2020

The world goes on without us.


Yesterday I struggled with mood. As I'm sure most people do these days. The day before, even yesterday morning, I was almost buoyant, only for all that positivity to dwindle over a couple of short hours. My heart lifted last night reading a message from my son about taking his wee cooped up daughter out for a freedom walk - I smiled and was so jealous not to have been with them in London. Not to be in New Zealand with the other grandchildren with their bursting smiles, exploding with life and joy at even the most mundane of things. God, it was so bad yesterday I felt compelled to take this photo of two tiny spiders (much as I hate the damn things).

Clearly social distancing is not on their agenda.

Out with the dogs yesterday and this morning, I continue to be struck how this  natural world of ours endures and thrives when we take a step back (think Venice and the return of fish and clarity etc to the canals). Everywhere I look, I see the smallest perfections - a tiny snail nestling in an appropriately named Lazarus daisy, the wonderful structures of grasses and composite flowers which if you bend down and look even closer at, have flowers within flowers like endless mirrors. On the cusp of the day this morning as the darkness began to be pushed back, bats and small birds in frenzied flight and loud with song - almost a cacophony and it is almost as if all of this is saying, fuck you all, we're alright.

I suspect we will all have roller coaster moods for the forseeable future.
On a lighter note, watched a Guy Ritchie film last night - The Gentlemen 

The Gentlemen (2019 film) - Wikipedia

with a pretty stellar cast and typically Ritchie script of violence, swearing and supposedly clever but authentic dialogue. But what stood out for me, was Hugh Grant as a sleazy private investigater called Fletcher, who won the whole move beating Matthew McCaughey, Colin Farrell, Michelle Dockery.
It ate up a couple of hours.

1 comment:

  1. Sure does, dear:
    the world definitely
    goes on without us
    as I found-out in
    our severe accident.
    GBY

    ReplyDelete