Tuesday 20 August 2013

Set up and first plot point

I am a recent convert to Larry Brooks http://storyfix.com/  and his two books Story Engineering and Story Physics.



 Not just a convert but  a fully-fledged proselytiser. So much so I am restarting almost from scratch and will do it with his ideas about structure, character, plot points, concept etc and the need to know and plan these in advance before writing.
I feel a huge relief reading his work, even though it is a mountain to climb, the point being I now know what mountain I'm scaling, where it is and what is on the other side and am doing it with state of the art equipment and supplies - if only I can carry them all and use them correctly.
I feel a sense of excitement which has been distant lately (no doubt due to real life intruding and Cyprus summer heat oppressing body and soul).
Today I have started structuring my writing process and am pen-on-paper jamming ideas, what if questions and formally getting to grips with the main characters in a reference-able way. House cleaning if you will, but necessary.

No comments:

Post a Comment